Converting patient insights
- US and Global Marketing teams at biotechnology firm marketing an orphan treatment for a rare disease
- A year after FDA approval, the brand was seeing unexpected slowdown in uptake and adherence issues, despite an improved formulation and a clear advantage for patient quality of life over the standard of care.
- Client needed to better understand the patient experience, especially the drivers of non-compliance to therapy.
- Led a comprehensive patient insight project designed to uncover unmet needs, issues and barriers relating to living with the disease
- Methodology involved a combination of in-home visits and mobile blogging to capture in-depth insights
- Delivered patient and caregiver profiles that portray “life in trenches”, including burden of disease, patient-caregiver dynamic and treatment experiences
- Developed a framework for understanding the transitions people experience across patient journey
- Uncovered opportunities to engage patients and caregivers through new or improved programs, services and communications
- Provided and compelling case for revamped communications design to address the problems confronting patient and caregivers
- Forged tight relationships with patient advocacy organizations
- Program was successfully replicated across 7 European markets
Behind the scenes
This project required a blend of patient research skills, the ability to lead research in multiple markets and knowledge of rare disease patient support best practices. Our Stem leads were: